Wednesday, 30 January 2013

Logical Assessment

I have just finished, and submitted, my a1 assignment for CSC165. I am curious to get back my grades as soon as possible, because I want to determine where I can improve for the upcoming midterm, as well as for future reference. I found this assignment to be tricky, but enjoyable. It was not overwhelmingly long, but took me a while to figure out. Here is how I tackled it:

  • Making a plan: I would take a question and try to break it down into smaller steps. I started off by writing the original statement in symbols, which I find easier to visualize than in english. I also had a notepad next to me to jot notes down as I go, as well as the symbolic definitions of negation, contrapositive and converse. I found that doing this was extremely helpful.

  • Executing the plan: I would go step by step, and if I came across something I felt I didn't understand, I would refer to the lecture for that day. I prefer to look at the annotated lectures because the notes Prof. puts on them are helpful for reference. 

  • Don't panic: I found that a few times I felt extremely overwhelmed (particularly on question 3 when trying to convert symbolic to english). I decided that every time I felt this way, I would take a break from the assignment for ~10-15 minutes and then I was able to think more clearly. Actually, doing this helped me to find a few mistakes I was making during the early stages of tackling the problems.
All-in-all, I am excited to have finished this assignment, but now it is time to study for the midterm!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a great plan. How is the plan going? Please let me know on your next post! -Simon-

    ReplyDelete