Tuesday, 2 April 2013

A solution to the blue eyes problem

http://xkcd.com/solution.html

A (long, but precise) explanation of the solution to the "hardest logic puzzle in the world". A very interesting problem with an answer that may not sound complicated, but actually sounds like it would take a lot of time to wrap your head around! I know it took me a few times to read through the solution to fully understand. That is the fun part about logic, sometimes it makes too much sense! :)

Coming up on the end of the term, I want to make an update on some of the things I have been working on/feeling:

  • I really struggled on Assignment 2. I didn't fully understand how to complete a proof, I have only done proofs a few times outside of this class, but I found that those proofs were much more obvious/algebraic than the one's we are using in this class. I paid the cost with my grade for that assignment.
  • Somehow, I turned it around on the midterm. Well, not really somehow, but I remember going through practice problems from previous midterms. My boyfriend was helping me go through them and break them down and help me understand better. He is a computer science specialist in 3rd year, and has a lot more experience working with proofs than I did. He even wrote a few for me himself. 
  • I quickly realized that I had no idea what I was doing when it came to proofs, I was a nervous wreck, it was the night before the exam and I was terrified that I would do poorly (this was before I was aware of my a2 grade, so I was still under the impression that I had a grasp on what I was doing).
  • I spent more of the night doing problems over and over and over again, and then I quickly realized that there is almost a method to doing the proof, like the whole reason we write a proof structure in the first place -- I just could not visually understand it before I wrote my a2. 
  • If I had the chance to redo my a2 assignement, I am guessing I would improve drastically based on my new knowledge of proofs. I hope to prove myself on a3 and improve my grade before heading into the final exam.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment